Jump-Gate Forum Index Jump-Gate
Discussion forums
REGISTER and get our Newsletter (no spam)
and additional services which we will launch soon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site improvements ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roberth

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Site improvements ? Reply with quote

Hi all knowledge seeking visitors,

I ask you all here to give us your point of view of what this site (Forum and Language Course) is missing, we know already that biggest problem is all spammers who posts crap in the forum, we have plans to get rid of them also.

But we need to enhance the site not only for discussions but also in functions and content, please give us ideas how we can give you a better site :)

Sincerely
Roberth
Administrator
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Site improvements ? Reply with quote

First of all get rid of the spam (maybe by closing the forum for search engines, so that it is less interesting for spammers to have links on this site).
Or give (a few active) users the possibility to push spam posts out of sight into quarantaine to be looked after by a moderator.

An other way is to give new users the ability to make postings, only after they introduced themselves and are aproved by a moderator (of course the introduction thread must be open for new users after their e-mal address is approved).

I liked the course very much and it was a great help, but to go on from there it is important to have a list of links to websites with more information and online tests (for instance http://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/gr/index.html) and for instance this one: http://www.leconjugueur.com/.

Of course those links must be checked regularry, but a user can notify not longer existing links to a moderator.

And a kind of index or cross reference to all the posts would be super...

You are doing a great job with the combination of a course and the forum; getting rid of the spam will atrect more (serious) active users.
roberth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the positive words and of course your advises, I am going to do what you told me, today I have deleted over 1400 spam posts in all forums here, and still we are automatically deleting over 90% of all incoming forum spam, don't know why this site is so massively popular by spammers.

I will within 1-2 weeks publish a Beta site so you can see how the coming site will look like, we really need all opinions I can get about it.

The new site will have features like:
    * New forum (of course the users and old posts will get imported into the new forum)
    * New design
    * Interactive web courses
    * All users will maybe get the ability probably to make their own personal blog posts besides the forum
    * We will allow much more users to become editors to change or add content with our revision control
    * Of course help our users to locate resources on the net
    * Much more linguistic facts

Thanks a lot for the comments :)

Sincerely
Roberth Andersson
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for removing the spam, it looks much better so.

roberth wrote:
don't know why this site is so massively popular by spammers.

Maybe the list of over 8000 users is interesting for them, although only a few users are active (apart from the spamming "users").
It is interesting for spammers to have links on websites that score well in search engines... The better your site scores, the more spam you get, so you can take it as a compliment Wink

In phpBB it is possible to get an overview of only the posts you have posted a reaction; those are probably free of spam and those also are the posts you like to check for reactions of other members; that could be an improvement for this forum too.
Julien

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tons of spams again, it's not getting any better
roberth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, true, we are autobanning and autodeleting hundred of spam posts everyday and manually a lot too.

The most seems to come exclusively right now from China, more specific .cn domains, it's little sad.

The promised enhancements will come, we got a delay because a coding was not so much ready as we expected and had to get rewritten.

I will try to give a good update this week about this.

Sincerely
Roberth Andersson
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roberth wrote:
The promised enhancements will come, we got a delay because a coding was not so much ready as we expected and had to get rewritten.

If at least the spam was in the french language...
roberth

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted this weekend over 4000 spams and deleted over all 5000 spam users totally.

I know this is not working perfect, but it will be better, this is not good, most for younger audience that see this kind of bad spams we are getting here.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: