Jump-Gate Forum Index Jump-Gate
Discussion forums
REGISTER and get our Newsletter (no spam)
and additional services which we will launch soon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Subjonctif

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Subjonctif Reply with quote

What, exactly, is the subjonctif imparfait used for?
zmike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that common anymore but it is still used in formal letter writing.

when u have "il faut que" the verb that is used following that should be written in subjunctive form.

Overall try to avoid using this when possible. For more information google search it.
Jean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those not familiar with English grammar, the word "subjunctive" is bound to be totally foreign. However, the subjunctive mood exists in English, too. Usually, we use it after the word "that" when the first clause implies some doubt or wishing. Take these examples:

* I wish that she were here right now.

Notice she were instead of she was. This verb is in the subjunctive mood. Sometimes, in day-to-day speech, some people might say "I wish that she was here." However, this is not good English.

* She requests that he come to the meeting tomorrow.

Here, he come is in the subjunctive mood as well.

In both sentences, the subjunctive is found after a clause where the following two conditions are met:

1. The preceding clause contains a phrase indicating some wishing, desiring or doubt.
2. The preceding clause ends with "that". Note: Sometimes, "that" is implied and not stated.

It must be said that the subjunctive is dying out in English. Generally speaking, we avoid the subjunctive or simply omit it even when it is required. We should use the subjunctive in "IF" clauses, but this use is no longer manditory.
Ex. If I were still young, I'd finish that mile-long race.
It has become common to say, "If I was still young, I'd finish that mile-long race."

I am including this brief summary of the subjunctive in English in order to demonstrate what the subjunctive does in our own language so that the French usage can be clearer.

In French, the subjunctive is much more common than in English. It is impossible to be a fluent, coherent speaker of French without some grasp of the subjunctive mood. Since the subjunctive is a mood (or mode), it can exist in more than one tense. Thus, there is a present subjunctive, past subjunctive, imperfect subjunctive and pluperfect subjunctive. There is no future subjunctive, however. Obviously, mastery of the present subjunctive is more important than the others. In fact, most native French speakers couldn't conjugate a verb in the imperfect subjunctive or the pluperfect subjunctive if they had to. The reasons for that will be discussed later. For now, let's concentrate on the uses for the subjunctive.

The subjunctive is used normally in a subordinate clause (in other words, after the word que or some other conjuctions) where the preceding main clause requires the subjunctive. Like in English, French requires the subjunctive where the main clause expresses some doubt, wishing or emotion.
mad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, but I'm still having trouble with the subjonctif imparfait. Maybe someone, for whom French is a first language, could give me examples of phrases with each tense of the subjonctif mood (ex: présent, passé, imparfait and plus-que-fait) because I'm having trouble distiguishing their usage from each other. I think I get when to use the Subjonjtif mood, just not which tense. I hope what I just said made sense to everyone.
Jean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imparfait du subjonctif - Imperfect Subjunctive

The imperfect subjunctive is a literary verb form used in formal writing, such as literature, journalism, and history. Like all literary verb forms, you really only need to be able to recognize it, not use it. It is used in a subordinate clause when the main clause is in the past. Its non-literary equivalents are the present subjunctive and the infinitive.

Example :

verbe: Avoir

Subjonctif Présent

que j'aie
que tu aies
qu'il ait
que nous ayons
que vous ayez
qu'ils aient

Subjonctif Passé

que j'aie eu
que tu aies eu
qu'il ait eu
que nous ayons eu
que vous ayez eu
qu'ils aient eu

Subjonctif Imparfait

que j'eusse
que tu eusses
qu'il eût
que nous eussions
que vous eussiez
qu'ils eussent

Subjonctif Plus-que-parfait

que j'eusse eu
que tu eusses eu
qu'il eût eu
que nous eussions eu
que vous eussiez eu
qu'ils eussent eu

Verbe être

Subjonctif Présent

que je sois
que tu sois
qu'il soit
que nous soyons
que vous soyez
qu'ils soient

Subjonctif Passé

que j'aie été
que tu aies été
qu'il ait été
que nous ayons été
que vous ayez été
qu'ils aient été

Subjonctif Imparfait

que je fusse
que tu fusses
qu'il fût
que nous fussions
que vous fussiez
qu'ils fussent

que j'eusse été
que tu eusses été
qu'il eût été
que nous eussions été
que vous eussiez été
qu'ils eussent été

verbe faire

Subjonctif Présent

que je fasse
que tu fasses
qu'il fasse
que nous fassions
que vous fassiez
qu'ils fassent

Subjonctif Passé

que j'aie fait
que tu aies fait
qu'il ait fait
que nous ayons fait
que vous ayez fait
qu'ils aient fait

Subjonctif Imparfait

que je fisse
que tu fisses
qu'il fît
que nous fissions
que vous fissiez
qu'ils fissent

que j'eusse fait
que tu eusses fait
qu'il eût fait
que nous eussions fait
que vous eussiez fait
qu'ils eussent fait

verbe pleuvoir

Subjonctif Présent

qu'il pleuve

Subjonctif Passé

qu'il ait plu

Subjonctif Imparfait

qu'il plût

qu'il eût plu
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: