Jump-Gate Forum Index Jump-Gate
Discussion forums
REGISTER and get our Newsletter (no spam)
and additional services which we will launch soon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knand33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

i have french finals in 2 days and i need to know how to express money in euros can anyone help me Question
Priya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'd like to help...but if you could only be a little more clear as to what is the problem??!!
hmm...from what I "think"...you want to know how the euro works right and how would you use it to buy smthing?

Ok then 1 Euro = 100 centimes

there are these different types of coins and notes as the following:-

coins
1 Euro
2 Euro
50 centimes
20 centimes
10 centimes
5 centimes
2 centimes
1 centime

notes
5 Euro
10 Euro
20 "
50 "
100 "
500"

* not too sure if there's a 200 note too??*

Well hope this helps Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to know how to write the amounts in words im not sure when to make the word euro plural
Athmane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, making the word plural is not a clear-cut case. The notes issued by the European Central Bank have the euro sign written in singular form (euro) to avoid taking into consideration the grammatical and orthographic considerations of every single language within the EU.
However, in French, "euro" should posess an "S" when its plural. As, such, we write: "un euro" (1 euro) et "deux euros" (2 euros). This term is considered a common noun (un nom commun), so it should respect the ortographic and grammatical rules of a common French noun, just as was the case with the "franc" monetary units when in use.

I would say:

- le nom euro commence toujours pas une minuscule: Ce livre coûte trois euros.
(The noun euro never takes a capital letter).
- le nom euro prend un S au pluriel: Un billet de cinquante euros.
(the noun euro takes an "s" in the plural).

The same two rules apply for the monetary divisions of euro (called "centime"). So "centime" never takes a capital letter, and takes an "S" in the plural/
Example: Une pièce de 20 centimes.

Athmane.
CrystalKick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's give you some useful sentences...

I have 3 euros = j'ai 3 euros
This book costs/is worth 2.5€ = Ce livre coûte trois euros cinquante ( Or : "trois euros et cinquante centimes " both are correct, but if it is a written test, you'd better use the second one)

If you want to write the amounts...lol just learn the numbers^^

This TV costs 199.99€ = Cette télé coûte cent quatre-vingt dix-neuf euros et quatre-vingt dix-neuf centimes. (Pay attention to the dashers Exclamation )

And if you don't know what to do to learn how to write the numbers correctly, try this out : http://www.leconjugueur.com/frlesnombresecrits.php

Was it helpful ?

EDIT : I was checking the website of whiwh I gave you the address, and I suggest you (and the others Wink ) download the program " Le Conjugueur " which might come in handy for you. (To download = "Télécharger")
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: