Jump-Gate Forum Index Jump-Gate
Discussion forums
REGISTER and get our Newsletter (no spam)
and additional services which we will launch soon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is harder?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coltanno

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: what is harder? Reply with quote

what do you think is harder?

FRENCH

ENGLISH

JAPANESE

CHINESE

GERMAN
zmike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't we already have a post like this....
mad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think German is pretty hard. Three genders...THREE!!!
Julien

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:

Japenese : 4 alphabets... FOUR!!! Wink
coltanno

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: qui soins? Reply with quote

qui soins si nous avons un poteau pour ceci :?:
MiniMe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: qui soins? Reply with quote

coltanno wrote:
qui soins si nous avons un poteau pour ceci Question

dude, stop using that shitty translator.
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: qui soins? Reply with quote

MiniMe wrote:
coltanno wrote:
qui soins si nous avons un poteau pour ceci Question

dude, stop using that shitty translator.

:O! TES MOTS!!

waip on tous sait quil en utilise une.. donc ignore-le
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GanyBlack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be joking. Japanese is very easy. It has no gender, only two tenses, and as for 4 alphabets, um, that's wrong. It has two "alphabets" if you even want to use that word, one for native words, one for foreign words, and it borrows ideographs called kanji from Chinese. The pronunciation is easy to learn, and if you don't want to learn to write, it's probably hands down the easist language to learn.
And as for difficulty of the spoken, it was the first other langauge I learned, and I didn't find it hard at all. Very Happy
CrystalKick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once told the main difficulty in Japanese is homonyms. They are said to be so many that you have to find the meaning of a sentence out of its context.
annalaurab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: which is harder? Reply with quote

I would say either Japansese or German but since I don't have any experience with Japanese, I wouldn't really know.
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julien wrote:
mad wrote:

Not to mention four cases! German is nearly as impossible as
Gaelic or Welsh.

Japenese : 4 alphabets... FOUR!!! :wink:

zmike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that everyone can agree that learning the pronouncation of any language is the most difficult part. Getting the accent of that language take largest amount of time in learning a language in my opinion.

Last edited by zmike on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
clemence

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRENCH : I'm a native speaker, but I realized that for non-native, it's pretty hard!

ENGLISH : not difficult, but when you go in the details, not easy either. Prononciation and intonation quite difficult for French, but not that much when they try! ;)

JAPANESE : very easy grammar, but vocabulary that has nothing to do with indo-european languages. Pronounciation quite easy too.

CHINESE : I guess the prononciation is difficult because of that thing that intonation can change a word into another one. I've never tried it though, but I imagine it really difficult.

GERMAN : the most difficult of all the languages I've tried (i.e Italian, Spanish, English and Japanese).
FangFang

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this question depend highly of your mother tongue. English, French (my mother tongue) and german are quite close to each other, so learning new vocabulary in those language when you already seak one or more among the three is not a big deal. On the other hand, learning new vocabulary from japanese and chinese, when your mother tongue is from a very different language family is not that easy (note that japanese has a lot of modern vocabulary coming from english). Conversely, the same thing can be said for chinese or japanese people learning an indo-european language.

As for pronounciation, i admit that japanese pronounciation (for french native speakers, not always true for english native speakers) is rather simple.

The most difficult language to pronounce, when your mother tongue is not a tonal one, must be chinese. I know very few chinese learners who can talk it very fluently, whithout messing with the five tones (in mandarin, there are even more in cantonese).

Concerning grammar, i think it may depend on people. I had no really difficulties with german variations and gender (but don't worry, my german really sucks), but i found it tricky to deal with the different levels of politeness in japanese. As for chinese grammar, it can seems very trivial at first sight (no gender, no real tense...) but the way to construct phrases to say some rather complex things is so different from french (or english or german) that it make it quite difficult to progress at a certain point.
But I think this has nothing to compare with how difficult the french grammar must be difficult for learners.

And for writing systems, yeah, japanese has two "alphabets" and use chinese characters (well, they made them evolve a bit differently since they use them), with two or more possible pronunciations for each character... This is difficult to get (personnaly, i never wen that far in learning japanese, i can't even remember the alphabets).
But learning chinese characters is a very hard task, knowing that you have to know at least 2000 to read the papers without to much troubles, and this is not enougth, because you have to know the combinations possible between those characters to understand chinese words, which are for the most part combined with two characters.

So for native speakers of an indo-european language, i think the order, from the most difficult language to the easiest could be :

Chinese
Japanese
French
German
English
Amikeco

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with FangFang. Both the native language(s) and the languages you already know are the most important factors when it comes to learning a new language.

For me it would be:
Chinese
Japanese
French
English
(German - my native language)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: