Jump-Gate Forum Index Jump-Gate
Discussion forums
REGISTER and get our Newsletter (no spam)
and additional services which we will launch soon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

beginning Spanish

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> Spanish Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: beginning Spanish Reply with quote

Hola! I am in beginning spanish and have a question. Why for most verbs you use "yo" like "yo soy, yo voy, etc" but for the verb "gustar" you use "me"("me gusta") Why is it different?

Gracias Laughing
Nicholas Swift

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Meg,

I know very little about Spanish, but I think I can answer your question anyway.

"Yo" is the subject pronoun, and "me" is the object pronoun. So "me gusta el pan" can probably be thought of as "the bread is pleasing to me", where "el pan" is the subject, and "me" is the object. I think "gustar" is intransitive, so "me" would probably be an indirect object.

I found an explanation at http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=gusta&v=b

Quote:
Gustar se traduce por to like: Me gusta esta música. I like this music. Sin embargo, recuerda que en español el sujeto del verbo gustar es lo que nos gusta (esta música), mientras que en inglés el sujeto del verbo to like es I.

I think this is what I tried to explain above, but I can't read it very well in Spanish. Hopefully somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

On another note: there is a new website for Spanish Learning at www.spanish-kit.net. It's pretty new, and the only reason I know about it is because the administrator also runs a website for Greek and Latin learning. Right now SpanishKit offers an online grammar, and a Spanish Grammar that can be downloaded in pdf form. I think they plan to offer readers and even some audio files, and the Greek/Latin site has a forum, so I would expect they would eventually have one too, where they lead learning groups and such. I bet eventually it'll be great.

I hope I was helpful.

--Nicholas
Meg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nicholas. That makes a lot more sense to me now. Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> Spanish Language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: