Jump-Gate Forum Index Jump-Gate
Discussion forums
REGISTER and get our Newsletter (no spam)
and additional services which we will launch soon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salute!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julien wrote:
Promenade is much better.

Promenade en bois does not make sense Confused

Promenade en bois? LOL I said La Promenade en planches
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Julien

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's even worse Laughing
Charly8100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: makes sense Reply with quote

I mean, "monter sur les planches" means to go on stage (right?) but that's kind of an idiomatic phrase...isn't it?

No, I don't intend to be walking in wood or or walking like wood or walking through wood any time soon. Perhaps if I die and become a "fantôme" Laughing

Wow, it is so easy as a non-native speaker to trip up. I'm afraid I don't have a chance. That reminds me of the time when I was trying to learn Spanish and mispronounced their word for "year". Basically, there is apparently quite a difference between saying "mi hijo tiene cinco años" and saying "mi hijo tiene cinco anos" Embarassed

It reminds me of that old Monty Python scetch where the man goes into the tobacconist with some kind of English language phrase book and totally innocently starts saying all of these obscenities to the store clerk. I could sympathize with John Cleese's character in that scenario. That would be exactly my luck!
Charly8100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: you know, thinking of that sketch I thought I would post it Reply with quote

I thought language-learners of all ages and stages would appreciate this and get a good laugh out of it.

I Googled it and found the text. Here it is:

The Hungarian Phrasebook sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus

Set: A tobacconist's shop.

Text on screen: In 1970, the British Empire lay in ruins, and foreign
nationalists frequented the streets - many of them Hungarians
(not the streets - the foreign nationals). Anyway, many of
these Hungarians went into tobacconist's shops to buy
cigarettes....

A Hungarian tourist (John Cleese) approaches the clerk (Terry Jones). The
tourist is reading haltingly from a phrase book.

Hungarian: I will not buy this record, it is scratched.
Clerk: Sorry?
Hungarian I will not buy this record, it is scratched.
Clerk: Uh, no, no, no. This is a tobacconist's.
Hungarian: Ah! I will not buy this *tobacconist's*, it is scratched.
Clerk: No, no, no, no. Tobacco...um...cigarettes (holds up a pack).
Hungarian: Ya! See-gar-ets! Ya! Uh...My hovercraft is full of eels.
Clerk: Sorry?
Hungarian: My hovercraft (pantomimes puffing a cigarette)...is full of eels
(pretends to strike a match).
Clerk: Ahh, matches!
Hungarian: Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya! Do you waaaaant...do you waaaaaant...to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy?
Clerk: Here, I don't think you're using that thing right.
Hungarian: You great poof.
Clerk: That'll be six and six, please.
Hungarian: If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me? I...I am no longer infected.
Clerk: Uh, may I, uh...(takes phrase book, flips through it)...Costs six and six...ah, here we are. (speaks weird Hungarian-sounding words)
Hungarian punches the clerk.

Meanwhile, a policeman (Graham Chapman) on a quiet street cups his ear as if hearing a cry of distress. He sprints for many blocks and finally enters the tobacconist's.

Cop: What's going on here then?
Hungarian: Ah. You have beautiful thighs.
Cop: (looks down at himself) WHAT?!?
Clerk: He hit me!
Hungarian: Drop your panties, Sir William; I cannot wait 'til lunchtime.
(points at clerk)
Cop: RIGHT!!! (drags Hungarian away by the arm)
Hungarian: (indignantly) My nipples explode with delight!
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Charly that was great. XD
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charly8100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: J'aime Monty Python... Reply with quote

Ils sont un des meilleurs. Pour moi, BBC America est manne celeste. (hoping and praying that I got this idiomatic phrase is correct) Laughing
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: J'aime Monty Python... Reply with quote

Charly8100 wrote:
Ils sont un des meilleurs. Pour moi, BBC America est manne celeste. (hoping and praying that I got this idiomatic phrase is correct) Laughing

I understood the first sentence. Then you said: for me, BBC America is manne celeste. :P

Si on parle de la télé. Je pense que mes chaines préférées sont MTV, Comedy Central, HBO, et plus. Quels films aimes-tu ?
Julien

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: J'aime Monty Python... Reply with quote

Charly8100 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing nobody talks like this but it's very good indeed Wink
Charly8100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: OOPS! There I go again... sorry about that. Reply with quote

Well, you can't blame a girl for trying. Still, I think I will avoid idioms for a while. Embarassed Laughing Embarassed Laughing

J'aime Comedy Central. Je pense que Jon Stewart et Stephen Colbert sont très drôles. Very Happy Je n'observe plus de MTV. La dernière fois où j'ai observé MTV, Nirvâna était populaire et Kurt Cobain n'était pas mort. Maintenant nous observons beaucoup de programmes animés . Mon fils aime voir des dessins animés. J'appelle television "the brain sucker". Lui n'aime pas les mots "brain sucker".

J'essaye de les obliger à lire. Mon fils aime Harry Potter. J'ai juste fini lire This Is Not Civilization est un livre concernant un homme dans les Peace Corps. Il est intéressant de lire ce livre mais j'ai été déçu par la fin.

Quels livres aimez-vous ?
Julien

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch TV --> regarder la télévision Wink
Charly8100

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: I'm sorry. Reply with quote

There I go again, making a mess of things! Embarassed Laughing I can only imagine what my postings look like to a native speaker. Thank you for the correction!

Merci beaucoup. Je suis très désolé!
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could understand it. That's what matters? :lol:

EDIT:
Oh et parce que tu es une femme. Tu dois mettre un "e" en désolé. (désolée)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: