Jump-Gate Forum Index Jump-Gate
Discussion forums
REGISTER and get our Newsletter (no spam)
and additional services which we will launch soon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Need Help With French!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the hardest language to learn?
Italian
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
French
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
German
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

CrystalKick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

italian grammar is more difficult than french grammar.

The fact that you don't have to pronouce every letter in french will help you a lot I think, because when you speak you won't have to care about the plurals or other boring stuffs you have to care about in italian (because every letter is pronouced, meaning that your mistakes will be heard) Wink
ledzeppelin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol well actually thats my problem in french. on italian the grammar is really soft I think the only problem that I have is that on italian there r alot of words which repeat the same letter twice like: lettera, Giovanni, immagine, abbiamo etc... but italian grammar is almost the same as in spanish so if u know spanish, u know about the 90 percent of the language. basiclly u can talk spanish to italians speakers n they can understand u very well.
mad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ledzeppelin wrote:
on the poll I have to said german . cause im really stock in das accusative n dative cases, "den , dem" etc, n with the verbs conjugations the times the plurals etc .its like imposible to me to understand it , das geht night ..

Im native on spanish n I leant italian on 3 months n I have been a year without practicing it n i still talk it very well, is almost the same as spanish.
now I muss learn some french, cause i ll make a trip to Arlon, Belgium n I want to have a knowledge of it . I had heard that the french grammar is awfull there r two accents ´`. n I have problems with the pronunciation, I hope my spanish could help me on something with my french.

Yup. I'm studying German too..and it's complicated to say the least. Let me just tell you that your spanish will help you with your French. They're very similar and their expressions work the same way, such as: "hace calor" is the same thing as "il fait chaud". Much like in Spanish, how you "have" cold, hot, hunger, thirst, sleepyness, age. ¡Buena suerte!

P.S. I think in french you have five accents..I think. You have (I dunno how to make them without the letters) é, è, ç, ê, ë.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need Help With French! Reply with quote

d3molitionxlov3rs wrote:

1. I sit:
My Translation: (using a English-French dictionary and AltaVista's Babel Fish Translator to check my answers.) "Je s'asseoir,"
Francais: (This is the answer AltaVista gave me.) "Je m'assieds"

*When I switched the translator on AltaVista from English/French to French/English, I typed in "Je s'asseoir" and it returned as "I to sit down,"

2. You clean:
My Translation: "Vous propre,"
Francais: "Vous nettoyez"

*However, this time, when I reversed the translation, both of these came up as "You clean,"

3. They take:
My Translation: "Ils prendre,"
Francais: "Ils prennent,"

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hello! Very Happy

I think you really need to get a grammar book (or maybe there are grammar-oriented websites), because French, as any other language, is not only words put aside.

With your translation website, you can only translate words put aside to words put aside, but you forget that every language has also a grammar and a syntax, and that it is not the same for one language to another.

So, as for your questions, here are some answers:
1- to sit = s'asseoir
But I sit = je m'asseois because in French, the infinitive (= s'asseoir) is conjugated at all persons and tenses.
Present tense of s'asseoir:
je m'asseois
tu t'asseois
il s'asseoit
nous nous asseyons
vous vous asseyez
ils s'asseoient

2- in English, clean is both a verb (to clean) and an adjective (that's a clean room!). In French, the verb is "nettoyer" and the adjective is "propre".
So, with the present-tense conjugated verb, you get:
je nettoies
tu nettoies
il nettoie
nous nettoyons
vous nettoyez
ils nettoient
And for the adjective, you can have: je suis propre (= I am clean) for example.

3- To take (= prendre) is not an exception and so is conjugated. The present-tense conjugation is:
je prends
tu prends
il prend
nous prenons
vous prenez
ils prennent.

Now, I don't think it was very clear for you, if you have never made French grammar before.

So I really advise you to buy a French method that would explain how French language is made, and not only what are the French words for these words.

Smile
annalaurab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: lots of helpful websites Reply with quote

There are lots of other helpful websites for learning french, among them:
french.about.com. (my personal favorite)
also my new website of french activitites, is
http://www.freefrenchebook.com
enjoy! annalaura
sibylline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm french, so of course, for me, french is very easy... lol
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: