Jump-Gate Forum Index Jump-Gate
Discussion forums
REGISTER and get our Newsletter (no spam)
and additional services which we will launch soon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French language and hipocrisy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: French language and hipocrisy Reply with quote

As we all well know by now, the French are fighting to protect their language internationally.

It can be seen in the language policies of France in the European Union and Quebec in Canada.

They give the reason to this by saying that French is threatened internationally, and by the growth and domination of English.

When this is easy to understand it's hard to understand that while
the French take this attitude in internationall, then turn around and apply
the exact opposite attitude in their own backyard.

While screaming for protection and underdog, they severely hostilely repress the regional languages spoken within French borders like Occitan, Basque, Catalan, Breton, and more.

This is a very disturbing hypocritical. If they are going to systematically and politically try to "wipe out" any non-French language spoken on French territory then there should be no reason why they should not hesitate to accept the same demise of French vis-a-vis English.

Personally, I am all for protecting French with respect to the threat of
English. I would like to see French preserved, and I would also like to see Breton, Basque, Catalan, Occitan, and more preserved.

If the French are going to take this attitude, they should be congruent and not hypocritical about it and set an example of tolerance and respect by protecting the minority languages spoken within the borders of France.
CrystalKick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, what we call " French " is just the language ( coming from Paris ) which have replaced of the dialects of France after the Revolution of 1789.

I have nothing against the dialects. But if they disappear it won't matter. In the world of today, I'd rather speak english and Italian (Which I learn at school )than an old language which was spoken by a few people a very long time ago.

These dialects are part of our culture, that's for sure, but it won't matter if they disappear.
bastar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do you not feel an obligation to make your heritage of the French language surviving the future ?
CrystalKick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, are you asking the whole french people or just me ? Wink

There is some "resistance" among the minorities in France : in Bretagne, TV Breizh emits TV programs exclusively in Breton. In the south west, the news at the TV are in Catalan subtitled in French...( Not the big night news flash, but those in the morning or at 12h00 )

About me, I think it won't be shameful if they disappear. You know, they haven't got a real cultural or scientific heritage. And the Bretons who want to speak and save the Breton are still a minority.
juliet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrystalKick wrote
Quote:
About me, I think it won't be shameful if they disappear. You know, they haven't got a real cultural or scientific heritage. And the Bretons who want to speak and save the Breton are still a minority.

Peculiar attitude. According to this: let`s speak Chinese only! We are all a minority compared to them.

...real cultural heritage... What`s this in Your opinion? Is it necessary to be world-famous to be a real culture? May-be You just don`t know enough about the Bretons` culture, their customs etc. Aren`t You a bit narrow-minded!
CrystalKick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Bretons have a cultural heritage, then let's say every region of France has its own...And every parisian suburbia has its own culture too because it uses words other people can't understand.

I don't think to be narrow-minded. If I were I would have chosen to learn spanish two year ago because it's spoken all over South America. But I chose italian instead. I could have chosen German too, there are more Germans than Italians...
bastar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is it not a rich culture with many different local dialects that helps a language to progress into a richer form of national governed language ?

I would like to see more research about minority languages, maybe this site could make sections about Breton and more, it could also make an interesting debate which is needed right now.
CrystalKick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Breton ? You want a forum to speak about Breton ? Almost none of Breton teenagers speak Breton Laughing Laughing Laughing
Julien

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is the right place to talk about insignificant declining local languages.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

il y a aussi en France des sociolinguistes... heureusement :)

@+
Laurent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much of anything about French but based on this topic , I think that the French language should be preserved. Why shouldn't it be really? Just because it's old?! That just proves the language to be even more precious, if anything. Rolling Eyes
Windarossa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above post is mine. Messed up a bit. Mad

Last edited by Windarossa on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le français n'a pas besoin d'être préservé, c'est plutôt le contraire, c'est la langue française qui a remplacé de nombreuses langues.

@+
Laurent
bastar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am who I am, no one else.

I may have taken many inspirations from a google debate, and if that hurt anyone I'm very sorry. This is a kind of debate which I wanna learn much more from.

I really think this is the right place to discuss declined languages, history and present language knowledge have a great connection for our ability to learn more about a language.
Universe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from the topic being discussed, I can clearly state that there are actually brains working out there. Though there are two sides...I believe both are correct in some ways... It is true that a culture cannot be a culture if the only difference between those living in the so called "culture" and those living outside of it is the language...However...If there are certain traditions being observed within this "culture" which aren't present in another region..Then that culture has merit to be called as such. Human history has been preserved by historians for a while now..All aspects of it...For it is history, which includes culture, which is lost time, precious not only to those directly involved, but to the future generations for knowledge of where their society came from. We can all learn from history, and past cultures...So if the minority regions stated above are unique in the aspect of "culture" then by all means I believe their customs and way of life should be preserved...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: