Jump-Gate Forum Index Jump-Gate
Discussion forums
REGISTER and get our Newsletter (no spam)
and additional services which we will launch soon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginning French

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumengentleman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Beginning French Reply with quote

I am just beginning to learn the French language; my goal is primarily to learn the language for "reading knowledge."

If anyone would be willing to help tutor me, I would greatly appreciate the help.

--Jake
spicey3531

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Me to Reply with quote

I would also like somebody to help me to.
Julien

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer questions
p0et

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: best method? Reply with quote

I'm also wanting to get to a reading level in French and not sure what the best method is of home study. What are some good books/CDs to use, which to avoid? I assume with reading, I'd mainly be concentrating on grammar and vocab.

Thanks.
cookiegirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always dreamt of learning French and now im gonna take every opportunity i get... Very Happy thanks for the site and forum Smile Sad but what should i start with?
Julien

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cookiegirl wrote:
but what should i start with?

The beginning.

Seriously, I think it's possible to improve his French by working on his own if you've learnt the basics with a teacher.
Start from scratch alone? Ouch, it's gonna be hell
frenchDude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: learn french language Reply with quote

First of all, read a lot and stuff ilke this
Nicholas Swift

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started teaching myself to read French, and I can't offer any specific grammatical advice, but I can mention a few things I find fun and helpful.

I found a great book in my library called "French for Reading", but I can't recall the author's name right now. It's geared toward graduate students who need enough French to pass the reading examination, so a lot of the examples are about academic material, not everyday situations. But it does an excellent job of explaining common mistakes (like false cognates) and some of the fundamental features that differ from English. I finally found a paperback copy in a university bookstore, but it was $56!!! I couldn't believe it, and decided to just keep checking it out of the library.

I also like to read short newspaper articles at Le Monde's website. It's free. I'm from New York, so I find it helpful to read articles about America, because I can regonize most of the names and situations. They also have forums where you can read posts from readers around the world, mostly in French--but you can't write posts unless you subscribe. There are also free blogs from the newspaper's reporters.

A great online French dictionary can be found at:

http://www.tv5.org/TV5Site/lf/langue_francaise.php

I also found a nice reference grammar by Daniel Calvez, and went online to order it, and found a new copy for $1.07! There are still several copies from between $1-$2; you can find them here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0844214973/qid=1110727821/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-2298202-2609752?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Mine's still on the way Smile
Temp.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to begin learning a language on your own. I taught myself how to read and write in Russian. I also taught myself how to speak, giving me the ability to skip beginner Russian classes. However, as you become increasingly more indepth in the language, whether it be French, Russian, Italian, German, so on, it will become a lot more difficult. It would be better if you found a language school for a teacher, a personal tutor, or learn in school due to some of the complicated grammatical structures.

To be able to comprehend up to a level of reading for say, novels, takes quite some time. It usually does not come in a year due to having to learn the different tenses. After learning French for 5.5 years, I am able to comprehend a lot of the things I read, and yet there is still a lot to be learned.

Bonne chance!
(Good luck!)
koala

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)
I am a chinese college student
Now I am in the same state as you
If you'd like to communicate with me
My E_mail is quweiundead@tom.com
koala

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh
I nearly forget
I want to introduce a site to you
http://www.jump-gate.com/languages/french/
Julien

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koala wrote:
Oh
I nearly forget

Rolling Eyes
vlotfi

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koala wrote:
Oh
I nearly forget

This site is excellent. I am taking French lessons at our local K-12 community schools. It is not a very rigorous class and our teacher is a wife of a French person who is here for a job. But, I have been reading the lessons at the above Web site and they are great. I actually printed them and placed them in a binder to read before bed-time.

I would be interested in exchaging e-mails in French. Please note that I know very little French.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jump-Gate Forum Index -> French Language All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: